If you love having toy’s with a motor in it. There’s a good chance that you might be doing some of your own maintenance. So know how to replace a car water pump. Can save you some money and inconvenience of a breakdown.
What does a car water pump do?
It ensures the proper flow of coolant through your vehicle’s cooling system.
You know its time to replace your water pump if you find that your pump’s pulley bearing is worn or the pump gasket is leaking fluid.
You will be able to save yourself the time and expense of taking your car to the shop for repairs with a little bit of effort and knowledge.
How to step to replace a water pump in a car.
Things you will need:
- Drain pan
- Socket set
- Engine coolant
- Automobile owner’s manual.
Follow these steps
- In order to know how to replace a car water pump, the first things are to locate the water pump in your car. Instruction for this may be found at one of the website listed at GlobalSources.com.
- Your car’s engine must be turned off and allowed to be cool down completely.
- Your car’s battery should be located, and the battery’s terminals should be disconnected
- Set a drain pan underneath the car, and drain the cooling systems storage container. Be sure the cooling compartment is completely drained before progressing to the next stage.
Removing the old water pump
- Your alternator’s mounting brackets should be found, and in order to remove your car’s drive belts, you should loosen them. To unfasten and lift the drive belts away, use sockets of the appropriate size.
- Any accessories must be cleared or cluttered out of the path of the water pump. You may also need to remove your engine’s pulley and fan to access the water pump.
- Any hoses that are attached to the water pump must be disconnected. Loosen the screws that hold the water pump in place by using a wrench or socket, then remove it from the engine.
- It is recommended a visual inspection of the engine block should be taken at this time. If cleaning is required use a soft rag with a suitable cleaner.
- The pump’s gaskets should be changed if they’re broken or damaged.
Installing the new water pump
- Install the new water pump in position. To double-check the torque specifications for your car, make sure that you consult your car’s owner’s manual beforehand. To be secured properly, your water pump needs to be bolted at a certain pressure,
- The hoses are then reconnected to the new water pump.
- Put anything else you removed back how you found it and where you found it. Any belts you replace should be properly adjusted to your car’s tension specs.
- Your car’s cooling system should be refilled. The opportunity of upgrading to a better antifreeze or coolant product at this time should be considered.
- Reconnect the battery terminals securely. Once your car is started, perform a visual inspection to ensure that everything is running as it ought to be.